Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Sunday, June 5, 2011

X-Men First Class

I will state straight off the top, that this was one of the best comic book movies I have seen, ranking up there with Spiderman 1 and Iron Man 1.

And the cast was fantastic. The new actors in the roles of Prof. X and Magneto totally outshine the casting of the original X-Men movies. I was much happier with these two. And I hope they continue the roles. No slight against Patrick Stewart or Ian McKellen but as far as I'm concerned they were blown away.

From the young actors cast as Banshee, down to Beast or Havok. It seems that they did a great job on casting. Only a couple I wasn't as impressed with.

I found the movie to be well written, everything moved right along. And the powers and special effects were secondary to the story and the characters. As it should be. That would seem to be where other movies tend to fall down. The script always seems to take a back seat to effects. And the whole house of cards suffers because of it.

This is supposedly the first of a new trilogy, and I say bring it on. I can't wait for the next two. Assuming they can keep the original crew together.

Now, as much as I used to read X-Men when I was a kid. I don't remember it in any great detail, and theres many things about this movie that didn't make sense when you look at it with a comic light. But then, I wasn't really. And as a movie, it turned out much better than expected. And this probably goes for the original film trilogy as well. Forget about it in light of seeing the start of this new series. Even with a few nods it gives and one special appearance.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment