Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wii U

I will go out on a limb here and declare that I may be in the minority, but who really cares at this point??

I realize that Nintendo has about as a rabid fanbase as Sony, Microsoft and dare I say Apple. But the unveiling of the successor to the Wii just doesn't seem to interest me much at all.

Granted Nintendo is in possession of some of the most beloved of all of videogames franchises. And now they will apparently be coming to us in glorious HD.

But, I now, though I didn't intend this starting out, own all three current generation consoles. And I find I get the most use out of my PS3. That is in my case, mostly because of it multimedia capability.

But Nintendo seems like this new console, will be an upgraded Wii, with a modified iPad made into a controller. The preview I watched showed off a bunch of tricks, and stuff that you can use it for. In interaction with the main unit working with the TV. This would seem to make the controller something you'd want to be very careful with. Seeing as to how it apparently now has a touch sensitive screen on it. Are extra controllers now going to be like $200, as much as the Wii itself. Better not be too many four player games. And how awkward and heavy is that thing going to be to play with after a few hours anyway. And you better hope the kids don't drop or toss it, when they play or put it away for the night..

They just seem to be too late to the party at this point. And I agree with old opinions about the Wii when it came out. It was an electronic board game. Got taken out when people came over, or when there were parties. And put away the rest of the time. A novelty. For me, it's become a cheap Netflix box I can use on any TV in the house. But, I did only pay about $100 for it when I got it with extra accessories and Zelda. When I traded in my Gamecube for it.

Just seems like a new gimmick, and I know with the Wii after awhile it gets old. Maybe when we get real Star Trek Holodecks. And I don't know how much people are taking too the PS Move or Microsoft Kinect, but with who I know. You just want to sit and play a game and relax. Not be jumping and waving and flying all around everywhere.

Years ago it was mentioned that Nintendo may go the way of Sega. And close up on hardware, and just stick to what they do best. Software, with their real asset. Their IP. Maybe they should?? But then they did sell a lot of electronic board games. And still have the highest installed user base.

But then, at my age now. I don't seem to be Nintendos current demographic. And I'm sure there will be lots of people picking up the Wii U when it comes out, and will eagerly away the next Zelda, Metroid, Smash Brothers and Pokemon Stadium in HD.

I think I will just get an iPad whenever the price finally comes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment