Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Sunday, March 27, 2011

S U C K E R * P U N C H

Once again, off the top I will say that was a fantastic movie.

Having said that, it would seem that it is also a polarizing movie when it comes to reviews and opinions.

I'm reminded of The Matrix: Reloaded, The Usual Suspects. Either you get it or you don't. And if you don't, there isn't much anyone can say to you to change your mind.

Granted, the movie is pretty simple when you dry out the plot. But, then so was The Matrix. And that didn't stop it from being a mind blowing experience.

It's all in the execution.

Now I wasn't a big fan of Snyders from his previous works. I didn't much care for 300 or The Watchmen. I only really liked the remake of Dawn of the Dead. And, that was pretty much in name only. Since I'm a fan of Romeros original. And his version wasn't much like it.

SuckerPunch is a typical action fest, composed primarily of 5 if I remember right action pieces. With a pretty thin dreamlike wrap around story.

Now, this is definitely a movie.. Not a film as I have mentioned in previous entries.
You buy your popcorn and go to be entertained, and wowed.

And this was the movie for that.. Giant mini-gun wielding 25 foot tall Samurai, World War I Clockwork soldiers, Steampunk, Mechs and engaging a fire breathing dragon with what looks like a WW2 bomber in the skies above a ruined castle. While the girls clear house like Delta force with assault rifles against medieval knights.

If all this sounds like live action anime, that's because it is. And there seems to be an above average amount of music, and dancing interspersed with the action pieces.

Somewhat like Inception (And this is where that comparison ends) the movie takes place in three layers. The metal hospital, the brothel and the separate mission locations. And they do all relate to each other. I have read a good review that walks through how all three tie together closer than they seem. But, I would need to see the movie again to pick up on more than the obvious pieces. As also mentioned in entries before, I'm relating how entertained I was or not.. Not a scene by scene analysis.

So, was I entertained?? Yes. And what could be a deciding factor. Am I an Anime fan?? Yes. So, take that with a grain of salt.

Oh, and Scott Glenn was awesome.. And when I saw him it just screamed David Carradine. But since we don't have him, Glenn was an awesome choice.

4 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!

    In all fairness the images / trailers are from youtube.com.

    ReplyDelete