Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Twilight Saga

What can you say about the movies that are bucking the apparent trend. Big budget movies that attract hordes of kids to the theatres and repeat viewing. The female crowds mainly.. Their based on a hugely successful series of books. None of which I have read, and had said I would never read after having read what I considered the much better of the two franchises ( True Bloods Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries). But now may have to.

Now in it's third movie with two more coming, supposedly splitting the final volume in two with the usual about not having to sacrifice so much.

Having not read the books, I don't know how close they are to the source material. Judging from the fan reaction and comparing it to the first two Harry Potter movies (One of the few series I have read more than once) I can presume they are very faithful Which could be why they didn't go over well with the people at large unfamiliar with the source. If like HP, The first two which were the best, because of being so close to the books. And also criticized greatly for not striking out on their own. And were a too literal translation of the books to film. Well, guess what?? Thats what the people wanted and thats who went to see it. The HP films have gotten worse over time. As more got cut out, and different directors have tried to put their stamp on them. Rather than serving up the fans what they want, the books on film.

To get back on track, I can presume that this is what is NOT happening with Twilight. Seeing all the complaints. And seeing the first two myself, ignorant of the books. I hated the first one.. I could understand what was going on with Bella and all the whining and stuff. She was 16 or 17 and didn't know shit for lack of a better word (Unlike Sookie who in all fairness, is in her mid to late twenties and is more mature) But the movie was just stiff, questionable acting, boring what else can I say. But the girls seemed to love it.

By the time the second one came around, and we got to see the Werewolves and the tribe more. It was starting to hook into me. I read most everything White Wolf put out ages ago for the world of darkness line. And I just got hooked with the Werewolf aspect of the movie. The tie to nature, their warmth, protectors of the wild and all that. And especially the fact that they were like 7' tall at the shoulder in wolf form. I am glad that they don't have a hybrid form. Human and Wolf. That's enough. When I started the new season of True Blood, one thing among a few this season that was disappointing was seeing the Weres being like the size of a German shepherd.

So going into Eclipse I wasn't expecting much.. And the reviews I had seen were very bad, low rating and lots of complaining. But dare I say, I liked the movie. Wasn't the greatest movie. But I can see some growth with Bella, and the love triangle. With me starting to see some maturity in Edward who seems to want Bella. But also, what's best for her. And is torn between what he knows should happen, and what he wants to happen. And he seems to be putting some thought into the fact that in not wanting to change her. Jacob is the better choice between them. Will he let her go in the last installment(s) so she can free to live a warm human life with Jacob.. I suppose people can be flawed, but if Edward were really a century old or so. He should have the maturity to either change her so they can be together forever, or just let her go. He should know that at her age, she really doesn't know what she wants. And everything is a big deal. Come back when she's like 30 or 35 when she will mentally be able to make informed decisions.

Something else the books may make more clear, but WTH is with the Volturi (spelling??) They don't seem to be anything more than some bumbling clown hierarchy.. Here it was looking like the vampire had some higher authority among their people. Some laws and rules.. Well maybe not.. They don't seem to make any sense at all. It would appear that they have some ulterior motive going on.. But would one or two be able to go 'Rogue' in secret from the others. Or is there only like five of them?? And if there were only so few why haven't they been overthrown by now. It would seem that True Blood has them beat hands down, with making the vampires seem to have a society of their own that they owe allegiance too. Shouldn't they be worried that Victoria was making a mass vampire factory that risked exposing them to the humans??

And I'm told that they don't sparkle in the books.. Well I damn well hope they don't. But beyond that, the fact that vampires are up and around during the daylight hours just bothers me to no end. It's just wrong, like boiled icing. It should not be happening. But, I've managed to ignore it so far.

So with all this rambling my favorite movie characters are Jacob, Alice, Jasper, Edwards Father and the Werewolves. (Sad to see Graham Greene gone ) Firmly Team Jacob here.

No comments:

Post a Comment