Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Saturday, July 17, 2010

INCEPTION

FIVE STARS * * * * *

Where to begin with this one.. Shut down the Cinemas. I've seen the best movie of the year, and there is no point in going to anything else this year. Just hand out the awards now.

Not since I saw The Matrix (First one, not the sequels. I liked them too, but they were all different genres and the extras have some evidence of that ) or The Usual Suspects have I seen a movie that was just so mind engaged and smart. Not that I can think of off the top of my head anyway.

The movie looked great, sounded great and the only thing I can think of that I didn't like was what seemed to be some funny business with the time compression at the end. And my whole opinion of the movie could be swayed by the very last 60 seconds or so. But it's left in doubt, which isn't a bad ending. But if it goes one way I'd feel very ripped off. But since it's in doubt we shall never know.. hopefully.

The whole film is basically a caper movie. Dicaprio is the leader of a crew. Put together to pull of a heist. The only wrinkle, being that the jewels are locked away in a vault inside someones mind. It's like the matrix, but everyones own personal one. In a weird way it reminds me of Johnny Mnemonic. Kidnap whatever the target and jack into them and do the job. And if you do it well enough they don't even know they've been 'downloaded'

I was in no way a fan of Dicaprio for years. Not until I seen 'The Departed' since then I've been checking out his new movies. And they've all been pretty good so far. Even though I didn't find 'Shutter Island' to be as great as everyone made it out to be. But 'The Departed' was awesome and 'Inception' was off the charts.

Nolan get's a lot of pats on the back for 'The Dark Knight' now, I like Batman as much as everyone else. But I didn't find it to be the masterpiece that everyone seemed to think that it was. Ledgers performance as the Joker was amazing. But I have my doubts that if he were still with us the buzz may not have been so great. But an award winning performance none the less. The movie itself not so much. But 'Inception' is the movie that sells me on Nolan being a genius filmmaker.

Now from what I have seen and read so far, the opinions of this movie seem to break down into two camps. Black and White. You will either love this movie, or not at all. Which brings me back to the old idea that you have movies and films. This would be a film and for instance, 'The A-Team' would be a movie. They cater to audiences that want two distinctly different things. Also kinda why it seemed that so many loved or hated 'The Matrix' and the 'Reloaded' seemed to garner a different reaction. It being a different genre of movie from the first one, appealed to a different core audience.

So, if you don't like meaty brain food with your visual entertainment you may want to seek out a movie at the cinema. Since you probably won't like this film.

I have really cut back on my DVD / Blu-ray purchases in the last six to ten months since I don't watch too many more than once. Or even play a game more than once. And have funnelled that cash into my collectible hobby instead. But this is one movie I will look forward to on a super Blu-ray Special Collectors edition this fall.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

No comments:

Post a Comment