Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Drive

Every now and again a movie comes along that evokes the mood and flavor of a film that could have walked out of another era.

This movie reminded me very much a drama / revenge type of movie that would have been right at home in 1981 or around there.

It didn't feel Hollywood at all, and I wasn't aware of the background of the movie or it's director before I went in.

I was recommended to avoid the movie several times before I went in, people didn't like the movie, etc etc..

But I liked the movie, as mentioned it was just like a film from another era. And in no way seemed to fit the typical Hollywood mold. Whether this was what turned people off, or the fact that it had a 'R' rating and was being described as an action movie (Which I wouldn't describe it as) and were disappointed when they didn't get it, I don't know.

But when there is violence, they don't shy away from it. It's quick, and brutal. And even though there weren't any real big stars, I was more than happy with the cast. A cast who could act. Even though Goslings character was pretty dry, the two mobsters and the old mechanic (From Breaking Bad) were great.

Definitely recommended. But if you don't like the style, you will be disappointed. And in that regard reminds of M. Nights Unbreakable.. I got a lot of bad recommendations about that one too, and people seemed to be going looking for the Sixth Sense 2. And were upset when they didn't get it. And got a wholly different kind of movie altogether.

4 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment