Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Tuesday, December 28, 2010

World of Warcraft Cataclysm

Just when you get out, you get sucked back in.. I took about a month off last fall. And I was kind of hoping to stay out of it. But, economically MMOs are a pretty good bargain for their cost. But that is inversely proportional to the amount of time it sucks out of your life usually.

For $15 a month play as much or as little as you want. Which is basically skipping one trip to McDonalds a month. But your time just evamporates into this netherworld of digital addiction.

Well, Blizzard has done it again. I logged back in with a 10 Day Cataclysm Trial to have a look at the new stuff. I'm not very interested in starting any new characters. Even though all the low level content has been redone pretty much. I would like to have a high level Priest and Mage for Horde. But I already have Alliance ones. I guess this is the best time to do it again, seeing as the content has changed. And with about two years between expansion maybe I can squeeze in a Hunter as well. Or just spend the money and transfer them over. But at about $55 a pop that isn't likely I don't think.

Anyway, back to my point.. The new zones I got to look at being Mount Hyjal and the underwater zones have been pretty good. The usual hunt this, collect that. But they look fantastic. And I haven't gotten to play underwater really since EQ 1. And the mechanics they added really took away the annoyance of being underwater. The Sea legs buff, letting you walk on the ocean floor, and still be able to lift off and swim. And the quest chain that gets you a Seahorse mount. Which Is awesome. Too bad you can't use him in any underwater environment.

Archaeology I only started to get into, but was interesting. But I was finding it a little sparse looking for dig sites.

Overall, I was finding it more entertaining than I did TBC or WoTLK when I first started those expansions.

At any rate I don't expect to see Blizzard get any real serious competition until Bioware releases Star Wars The Old Republic. But, then that's also two different genres. So, may not be a head to head much anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment