Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Thursday, July 19, 2012

Refocusing & Downsizing

I find myself at a crossroads of sort, ever since I got my hands on RiD Brave Maximus and all the little accessories from most of his mold mates, authentic or repro I've been over the top of the mountain, and sliding down the steep slope of the other side.

I find other things attracting my attention, and I only have so many hobby dollars I can split up. So I find myself re-evaluating my collection. Unfortunately for my wallet, a lot of what comes out I find appealing. But that has become too expensive to maintain. And now I need to focus my collection on the items I really really like, rather than just everything that I like or looks cool.

Do you limit yourself to Masterpieces, G1 Characters (In my case, what I grew up on)etc etc..

I had already resigned myself to begin exiting the third party bandwagon, it has just exploded and become more and more expensive. iGears Miniwarriors were looking like the last of the 3rd Party for me along with Fans Project Assaulter.

And I find as much as the movie stuff had it's appealing designs, I'm eying up that shelf for liquidation. Which, isn't going to be easy when a large chunk of it is still shelf warming in most locations.

In the end when I look over all my shelves the pieces that I find I like the most, are the G1s, G1 inspired (Classics / Generations / Universe) and Robots in Disguise. Followed closely by Beast Wars / Beast Machines, Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime. With a little dash of Armada / Cybertron and Energon.

And when it comes to the new stuff, even though the Cyberverse stuff coming out is very cool, do I really need 3 different versions of Prime?? Cyberverse, Deluxe and Voyager?? No, not really. Not too mention I was looking forward to the Energon Driller and the 'Hammer. But as cool as the playsets look. I have The Ark from DOTM and it doesn't really fit in anywhere. So I have to look at the fact that here will be cool pieces that come out, but don't really fit into my collection.

I thought about scaling back all the way to Masterpiece alone. But as few as they are, and cheap on a yearly basis. The line doesn't represent much of the series as whole. And likely never will. Even though we are supposed to get like 5 this year.

So as I have read and heard from others over the years. Wait for deals, patience is key. Don't buy assortments of 4 figures just to get 2 you want. Because you will need to sell those other two, and that takes time and you probably will be lucky to get your cost back out.

Only collect the ones you really want. And you don't need to have every version of every character. Just get the best representation to you. And don't be afraid to downsize if it's needed. That cash can go back into the collection, or to some other hobby you've been neglecting. Which is what I plan to do now that there is a budding Warhammer league here. I always liked the modeling aspect of the hobby as well as playing. But I didn't like the idea of doing one, but not the other. And it's been almost 16 years since I was into that.


4 comments:

  1. Hey bud I'm right there with you. I only have so much space to display and store my toys...and there's that money issue too. If you saw the TV spot on my collection from earlier of the year (January 2012 - check my older posts) my shelves are packed and stacked.

    I too am looking at refocusing my collection yet again, but this time biting the bullet and dropping most everything not G1/G2, Robot Masters, Classics/Generations and probably Prime (for now). That means bye-bye to what I have left of Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RID, A/E/C trilogy, Movie and Animated.

    I'm hoping it'll free up more space so I can spread out the stuff I do plan on keeping. It should bring with it some extra cash which my family and I could use.

    I'm not ready to call it quits yet, but like many others it's time to bring it back in a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me, I thought about going at it with an axe and straight back to G1, RiD, Masterpiece and a few favorite pieces. My shelves are also jam packed and I have no space left. But I love my Beast Wars collection.. I still have more to cut out, but I will probably leave subsequent rounds of pruning until I can sell most of what I have up for sale right now.

    I started back mainly with TFA, but I could see me selling it.

    Not too mention all the trouble finding things, and poor distribution. If I could find things on sale at retail I could have saved a bundle. But, I can't and end up buying online at full retail or just below. It takes some of the fun out of it.

    I'm not sure I would call it quits completely, but I grew up in the 80s and I could see going back to my roots (G1) and the next big revival (Beast Wars) and call it a day. And a couple Masterpieces (Pretty much 100% G1) a year would be a lot easier to manage and display.

    Plus, with the Warhammer league starting up here. It gets me out of the house, and I enjoy the modeling and playing aspect of that hobby. Toy collecting out here is pretty much a solo afair. You buy it, and put it on a shelf. Not quite the same, when you live so far away from the conventions. You don't get to hang out with other collectors. I don't know how some people do it, but I have so many hobby dollars and they need to be divided somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your desire to cut back. I don't really have a space issue since I have a garage to use, but cash is certainly an issue for me. I find myself feeling more and more ambivalent towards the Classics/Generations line to the point that I haven't even bothered to look at any of the 12 Wal-Mart stores in my area even while shopping for something else. It's nice to get updated figures, but I'm kinda focused on finishing my G1 holes first.

    ReplyDelete