Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013. The Purple Knight / Random Scholar. All rights reserved. No part of this blog or content are to be reproduced without express written permission.


Saturday, June 2, 2012

RiD BRAVE MAXIMUS


Well, a little over a month ago after a year of watching prices and even twice I tried to bid one for a decent price on Ebay I finally sprung for and bought a Robots in Disguise Brave Maximus.

None of the two Ebay attempts panned out for me. They always ended up getting bid up too high for my blood. Certainly with the nature of Ebay I wasn't comfortable with such an expensive purchase should there be anything wrong with it, or not as described. I could only imagine the nightmare of having to try and return something of that size and weight. And the headaches increase.

So I got a line on one from a reputable source. And he was supposed to be in very good condition and complete. Box and all accessories. The price was a little more than I would have liked. But the shipping was good, and the security and peace of mind was worth it.

So he came with his box, insert and all of RiD BM original accessories. And since he was such a crown piece for my collection. I decided to hunt down some repro parts from Fortress Maximus to kit him out. So I managed to get FM two guns. The FM Twin Blaster and FM large Photon Rifle. As well as Cog who forms two small tanks and a larger robot. So all I am missing is the repro gun for Cog. I find when it comes to the FM guns the dark blue color seems to go well with BM. Rather than the more appropriate repro color matched to BM. Although I do think that Cog would look better if he was color matched to BM in red and black. I'm thinking about painting him myself but I haven't yet. And I even grabbed the Crazy Devy Massive Sword since it was on clearance. And it's just about as tall as BM himself is.

The last thing I picked up was the Headrobots Courageous Headmaster kit. It was also a little pricier than I would like. But it was supposed to be limited to 200 pieces. Not that that made it any cheaper. But, that gave me two nicely detailed Headmaster heads and a nice translucent blue sword.

Over all BM was somewhat dusty when he arrived. Nothing that a dry cloth and a can of air didn't mostly fix. And to my surprise it seems that all of his stickers are in excellent shape. None seemed to be faded, scratched to coming loose at all. I found that to be amazing really. I've transformed him once, from robot to city mode and back again. His joints seem to be tight and in good shape. All in all I couldn't be happier with him. It's fun just to look at him. And being the largest transformer ever made is a fun fact. And I prefer this color version of Fortress Maximus to the other two version. The colors as was mentioned somewhere else, looks fantastic as a city at night with the lit up windows.

And a reminder of him being from a bygone age in toys, the plastic he is made of, is of just a better quality than you see with Hasbro today. And maybe even Takara. It just feels sturdy, and not cheap or fragile at all. The heft of the whole figure is surprising. This thing is heavy.

And one last surprise I had when I got looking at the box and little details. It seems that I ended up with a Takara release of Brave Maximus. I had assumed that it would have been the Korean release. So that was a nice cherry on top. From everything I checked out it definitely seems to be the Takara version.

RiD is becoming one of my favorite continuities in Transformers. And is starting to rank up there with G1 as far as I am concerned. There just seems to be a lot of nice figures, and good quality materials in the line. And there is a handful of figures I still want to get from the line. It's too bad it didn't go on even one more season than it did.




5 comments:

  1. Nice score indeed! I picked up his guns in red not too long ago and they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the guns and Cog from a place in Texas. The quality and detail on them seems to be pretty decent.

    Of course I heard good things about Darkovs stuff, but his didn't seem to pop up on Ebay until after these ones were on the way. Or else I probably would have gone with the color matched ones for BM.

    Cog on the other hand I'm mulling painting.. his blue seems lighter than the guns. And the grey.. doesn't match up as nice as the guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cogs lighter blue and grey doesn't match up as well as the guns darker blue with BMs black and red that is.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, he looks great with all his accessories. How much did everything set you back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm remembering right, off the top of my head it all came out to just about nine. And I need to get a repro of Cogs gun yet. By far the most I have put into a single piece. I have solace in the fact that if I had to part with him I should be able to get the same back or better down the line. At least that's what I say to people if I need to explain it =)

    The Ebay prices seemed to go up a lot in the last year or so. And the last time I tried to get one it went over $650 if I remember. And that was no box, and I don't remember now if it listed which version it was.

    It was looking like Brave was trending to be almost if not more expensive than some of the lower listings for Fortress Maximus himself.

    ReplyDelete